Last week was Father's Day. To honor the great father I'm married to, we made Doc a special foods throughout the day. For breakfast, he was presented with a yummy smoothie. He enjoyed his daily special for lunch (PB&J on nutty, seedy, whole grain bread). And then for dinner, I went out on a limb and decided to try my hand at seafood.
I don't eat seafood. Throughout my life I've tried many different kinds, but none of it has ever been a hit with me no matter how I've tried to make it work. But Doc loves salmon, as does Bunch. So in his honor, I broke out the grill (to avoid heating up the house), got the salmon marinading, and with the aid of Google, I found a recipe for grilling salmon. The recipe said to cook the fish on each side for 7 minutes. So I put it flesh-side down on the grill, and then went inside to whip up a quick salad.
Five minutes later, I went to check on the fish only to discover that it was completely char broiled. We're talking a thick, black crust of char on the flesh side.
I burst into tears over my lack of domestic prowess. Oh the irony that once upon a time I was offered a million dollar contract to be a co-host on a cooking show. But I digress. Someday I'll write about that adventure. For now, I just put the charbroiled fish on a plate and carried it inside. There I discovered that the skin side easily pealed away, revealing what appeared to be a nicely cooked piece of salmon, but which I figured probably tasted like charcoal.
About this time Doc wandered into the kitchen and saw the tears and the fish. "I was trying to make you a special meal" I told him in defeat.
He picked up a fork, tasted it and declared it delicious. "I'll just eat down to the blackened part" he said "It's kind of like a skin on the other side".
Drying my tears, I suspected he was just trying to make me feel better, except that Bunch also said it was delicious...and they both ate every last nibblette of the stuff. It's times like this that I'm so grateful to have such a sweet, supportive, forgiving man in my life. He's the best!
For gifts, we gave Doc some European chocolate and a long over due new pillow. If you're the squeamish type you should probably skip this paragraph, because I'm sure the old one was by now about 98% dustmite. This dustmite wad was contained in a stained, ratty old case. We'd like to thank Ikea for selling affordable flat pillows!
Since this week was Doc's big exam, he was really under the gun, and wasn't able to join us on Monday when we got together with the rest of the family here to celebrate. We met at a park and had a picnic followed by a great family game of kickball. I don't think I've played kickball in 30 years, but it was a lot of fun because of my cool family members. Doc's brothers, our nephew and his friend, and Doc's parents and our sisters-in-law, plus all the grandkids here had a great evening together. I love living close enough to them for days like this. ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment