Monday, June 23, 2008

Books I've read lately

I have decided to start a log on here of the books I've read because I think it will be fun to have a record of them. Several friends have done this on their blogs, and I have frequently "shopped" their lists for suggestions before heading to the library.

On a go-forward basis, I'll try to note whether I liked it or not, give it a thumbs up or down etc. But for this post, I'm just going to compile a list of all the books I've read during 2008 that I can recall. Even though each of these titles is linked to Amazon.com, I borrowed almost all of them from friends or my local library. I own #33 (my kids and I read from it every day), and #1 which I purchased after reading it, because
I ♥ Jeanette Walls and just wanted to own a copy of it. She changed my life by sharing hers.

If I compiled a list of the books I read last year, it would look vastly different than this one. Last year I was into non-fiction big-time, and a few classics such as Ayn Rand. But I was inducted into a really cool book group this year, and they only read fiction, sci-fi & fantasy. So I have a ton of that on here so far. Another benefit of keeping track will be that I can round out my literary diet a little better...and make sure my brain isn't just shriveling up on a smorgasbord of fluff. Fluff is fun, but it doesn't really change me. It's like cotton candy...tastes great, but is quickly consumed and forgotten.

So without further ado, may I present Blue's 2008 Reading List. Brought to you by the letter B and the number 4!
  1. The Glass Castle: A Memoir
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
  2. The Host: A Novel
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer
  3. A Thousand Splendid Suns
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
  4. Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir
    Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir by Franz Wisner
  5. The Hindi-Bindi Club
    The Hindi-Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan
  6. Into the Wild
    Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst
  7. Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly
    Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly by Gail Carson Levine
  8. Book of a Thousand Days
    Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
  9. The Goose Girl
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
  10. Enna Burning
    Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
  11. River Secrets
    River Secrets by Shannon Hale
  12. Austenland: A Novel
    Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale
  13. Princess Academy
    Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
  14. Fairest
    Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
  15. Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
    Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by Stephenie Meyer
  16. New Moon (The Twilight Saga, Book 2)
    New Moon (The Twilight Saga, Book 2) by Stephenie Meyer
  17. Eclipse (The Twilight Saga, Book 3)
    Eclipse (The Twilight Saga, Book 3) by Stephenie Meyer
  18. A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana (Today Show Book Club #3)
    A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana by Haven Kimmel
  19. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
    Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
  20. Dragon Slippers
    Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
  21. Dragon Flight
    Dragon Flight by Jessica Day George
  22. My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life
    My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life by Julie Wright
  23. I Am a Mother
    I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  24. The Bone Doll's Twin (Tamir Trilogy, Book 1)
    The Bone Doll's Twin (Tamir Trilogy, Book 1) by Lynn Flewelling
  25. Hidden Warrior (Tamir Trilogy, Book 2)
    Hidden Warrior (Tamir Trilogy, Book 2) by Lynn Flewelling
  26. The Oracle's Queen (Tamir Trilogy, Book 3)
    The Oracle's Queen (Tamir Trilogy, Book 3) by Lynn Flewelling
  27. I Want It Now: Navigating Childhood in a Materialistic World
    I Want It Now: Navigating Childhood in a Materialistic World by Donna Bee-Gates
  28. The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict
    The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by Arbinger Institute
  29. Shopaholic & Baby
    Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella
  30. His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, Book 1)
    His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, Book 1) by Naomi Novik
  31. Temeraire: The Throne of Jade (Temeraire series book 2)
    Temeraire: The Throne of Jade (Temeraire series book 2) by Naomi Novik
  32. Black Powder War (Temeraire, Book 3)
    Black Powder War (Temeraire, Book 3) by Naomi Novik
  33. The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part II (New Cover) (Gospel Studies)
    The Book of Mormon Made Easier by David Ridges
  34. You Can Write a Memoir
    You Can Write a Memoir by Susan Carol Hauser
  35. You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny
    You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny by Suzanne Hansen
  36. Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back (P.S.)
    Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back by Claire Fontaine and Mia Fontaine
  37. Fablehaven
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
  38. Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven)
    Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull
  39. JULIE AND JULIA: 365 DAYS, 524 RECIPES, 1 TINY APARTMENT KITCHEN
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
  40. Golf: Lesson I Learned While Looking for My Ball
    Golf: Lesson I Learned While Looking for My Ball by John Bytheway
  41. Larklight
    Larklight by Philip Reeve
  42. The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel
    The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield
  43. Blue Sword
    Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
  44. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
  45. Year of Wonders
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

6 comments:

mindy said...

#s 2, 9 & 18 are on my to read list for the year, too. :o)

Awesome list, Blue. I will likely borrow some from your list for my reading enjoyment.

Jenny said...

goodness, girl! if you had to choose a favorite, which would it be?

Janell said...

That's quite the list! "The Goose Girl" is a good read, and I have fond memories of sneaking away from my thesis to spend five hours in the library reading, "Princess Academy." "Shopaholic," is my guilty pleasure because reading that fluffy cannot be any better than watching tv ;)

There are several books on your list I detest (I shan't ruin those for you), several I want to read, and several I've never heard of (and think I might want to read). I hope you'll keep us updated on your reading progress!

MichelleW said...

I have invited you to Goodreads...you have got join it so you can see what your friends are reading.

Blue said...

Jenny,
In terms of long-lasting impression and impact, coupled with enjoyment at the time I read it, I'd give The Glass Castle a big 5 Gold Stars. I enjoy most of what I read, but like I mentioned, that book really had a huge impact on me. It kind of gave me a map, or showed me how, to start coming to terms with my childhood. Not like I needed permission, but it almost told me "it's okay to make peace with it and let it just be". So on this list, I'd choose that as a big one. Also, #33 (and the other two books that go with it) were the thing that finally helped me gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I can't recommend David Ridges books enough. They should be part of everyone's personal library. ♥

Debra said...

Blue,

Great list! I have read many of the titles that you have. Right now I am in the midst of the Twilight series and I am really enjoying it. I could definitely give you a few recommendations based on your list, if you are interested.

Be well!
Debbie