Sometimes I like to blame others for where I'm at right now. Am I the only one who does this?
My primary target is my dad. I often feel like he's responsible for almost all the messes in my life. I play that "if only he'd done this differently" game, and trace everything back to his choices.
Like, for example, if he hadn't abused me as a child, then I would probably have had more self-esteem growing up. And my relationships with people would be healthier. I'd have been a better student. I wouldn't be struggling with depression. I'd have accomplished more with my life. Yadda yadda yadda.
But I don't know for sure that this is true. I mean, if he hadn't done what he did, and effectively ruined our family with his actions, it would have been easier to feel safe, secure and loved growing up. And having that would have influenced my life in ways I can't fathom. And I wouldn't be spending so much time and money-we-don't-have right now to wade through the pain and grief that I'm presently struggling through. At least not as it relates to my childhood.
But I don't know that I wouldn't be struggling with depression. And I don't know if I'd have had more success and confidence etc.
Because this I DO know: life isn't easy for anyone. If it doesn't throw one problem, challenge, setback, heartache in your path, it'll throw another. Because there hasn't ever been a person who just got "lucky", and managed to incredibly side-step their way through life, avoiding all the pain, loss, suffering and sorrow that is native to the mortal experience.
Eventually, we all learn through the hard moments we are given. Life isn't a series of green lights and empty parking spaces. We're here to be tried and tested and experience joy. I'm having a lot of the first two, and trying to have more of the third. I'm trying to be a better person. To learn from my experiences. To create beauty from ashes. Both in my life, and the lives of those around me.
So I can blame my dad for now. And my mom, too. But I realize it's not useful. That if I use blame to absolve myself from taking responsibility for my life, I just perpetuate the problem.
So even though he did what he did, and even though he is at fault for all of it, and regardless that I'm stuck with the fallout (and so is he. so are we all.) of his actions, blaming isn't going to fix things. Blaming won't change the facts. The only thing that can change is what I'm going to do about the situation.
So I'm trying to move beyond blame to forgiveness. Forgiving him doesn't mean he'll ever be part of my life necessarily. I don't have any reason to believe he'll ever do what needs to be done in order for us to interact with each other. He hasn't yet, and neither has my mother, or my brother for that matter. But forgiveness is elemental to making peace with how things are between us. It's not my fault that things are the way they are, and heaven knows I tried for decades to "fix" the situation. I can't fix it. It may not be fixable in this life, but if it is, it's proved to be beyond my abilities.
What I can do for now is move through the various stages of mourning and grieving...a part of which includes blaming. Cause that's what kids do, and the kid in me is finally getting her voice. Even if some days it's only a whisper still.
Grateful for:
1) The chance to heal
2) Sunshine today
3) A great laugh with Doc and Bunch last night. Laughter is good for my soul.
10 comments:
Don't forget, be grateful for Nutella...anything with chocolate and hazelnuts just HAS to make your day!
i so love your blog...
i wanted to tell you yesterday, but was having the day from aitch eee double hockey sticks and didn't have time...
you have created something lasting in your inspiration in my life...
your words even when you are depressed are SO beautiful, they brighten my day when i am so in need of something to make me smile, and you have made a difference in my life...from states and states away, through the internet. that's pretty powerful don't you think? That you could, just by writing something, help someone else make changes in their life?
i'm quite sure, that even when you feel as if you aren't "contributing" the way you feel like you should be...you are, to me and probably to more of your readers.
i know it doesn't help you shake off the heavy blanket...but, i really felt that it's one of those things that i SHOULD say, instead of just think in my head.
I don't know if your therapist has mentioned that when something traumatic happens to us when we are little a part of our spirit/physical/emotional/ mental part of us remains the age of the experience.
I have learned through my years of counseling that some of the healing is taking time to talk to that part of yourself, envision her in your minds eye, love her, hug her, cherish her, thank her for how she helped you survive, and what she has taught you through the years, and then being filled with the light of Christ and knowing the atonement applies to you and her invite her to come back to you whole. So that spiritually and physically you become the age you are, and that pain that you feel, the blame that you want to lay at your fathers feet, give that to the only one that can take it, The Savior, and in return he gives you love, light, joy, faith, hope and charity.
You are amazing, and unfortunately you have had to struggle in different ways than most, but, your service to them... you sharing a most intimate and difficult part of your life made 900 people show up on your blog and feel not so alone.
That, my dear, is priceless and long lasting, and healing....
Thank you for sharing, yet again, who you are and what you have struggled with! God bless my dear! God bless!
Beautiful and insightful.
You do write beautifully. (And so do some of your commenters.) I have some things from my childhood that I've been working on coming to terms with. I do think moving past the blame is important in the healing process. Something seems different to me though about hurts received as a child - a time in life when your sense of self worth is being developed. I always imagine that someone with an idealic childhood could weather the (later) storms of life much easier than I. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it's sure hard to build on a shaky foundation. I'm still working on moving past that and becoming all that God knows I can be. I'm reminded that the gospel is a message of hope and that leads me to believe it can be done. :)
Maybe, just maybe if you pass by my blog, you may have a good time!
Believe me the future is today, the past is gone. A smile in your face and the enjoyment of the simple things of life does bring truly happiness.
The kid in me wants to give the kid in you a big, long hug. On a certain level you are my soul sister, dear heart, and that is not something that we can find very often.
I understand the process that you are going through. It is not easy, it is not fun and it certainly is not something that everyone must experience in their lifetime. But for those of us who must share in the grieving of never having been parented in the ways that we deserved, it is necessary.
I am here. In any way that I can help, I am always here.
Love you,
Debbie
Julia, your willingness to lay out your personal journey is truly inspiring and helpful to so many; me included! I have such deep love and concern for you. I hope we are together again soon, and that our friendship can deepen and grow. I feel thankful for you-and appreciative of the support and encouragement you've lent to me even as you struggle to find your voice-thank you and love you so much
Hello dear one - I just know what you say is true - life has it's knocks for everyone.
For me it is healthy not to forgive but to accept - accept that was then and this is now.
For me forgiving is too time consuming and energy sapping and I am maybe just not generous enough in spirit I think. But I can accept 'it' happened and after time put it in a box and accept that I should move on. As I have become older I have moved faster to acceptance and boxing, giving me greater agility to move forward.
hugs le xoxo
Wise. ♥
Post a Comment