For today's random topic I shall regale you with BunchkinTales.
My daughter Bunch is a writer. Even though she's never taken a writing course beyond your basic elementary school curriculum, we are constantly amazed at the stories, poems, songs, and ideas she comes up with. It's Doc's opinion that of all her many talents, writing is her greatest innate ability, and I'd have to agree.
When she was eleven, Bunch wrote a song. It wasn't the first one she's written, but this particular song has a catchy little tune and a great message. She's been working on piano accompaniment for it recently.
Right before bed last night we were chatting about making a music video of her song, and then I dreamed that we actually did! It starred lots of the kids at her school, and because of that she decided to enter it in the school talent show (which will be held before the end of the school year). It was a big hit with everyone. At least in my dream. Maybe we'll have to find a way to do it as a project. That'd be fun. Any of you have mad video skills?Also when she was eleven, Bunch started writing a novel based on an imaginative game she and Gator made up and play together. In their game, they are both elves, and have various powers which they use during their assorted adventures. Her ideas for the book are drawn from their play sessions, and for this reason she's dedicated the book to her brother.
This week she finished writing Part One of the book, which is called Conquest. There is an optional program in the 6th grade here called University of Learning in which the students who participate can earn any of the four degrees (Associates, Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate). Bunch decided to earn a Ph.D. with a focus on writing fiction. Students can do their degree on any subject they like, and have various requirements for each degree. For the Ph.D., a "product" is required, and she's submitting Part One of her book.
The entire project is due tomorrow, and she's worked really hard to finish all the various components of this degree. She volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House for the community service component, did online research, interviewed one of her favorite published authors, read books on writing, and wrote and wrote and wrote. Part One of Conquest is nearly 10,000 words long.
Though it wasn't required for the school project, I designed a cover for her book tonight. Once she's finished writing the other parts, we'll have to print some up for gifts to her fan base. I know at least one boy who would be very excited to get a copy! ☺
(PS: Her name isn't actually Bunch Kin...but "Bunch" looked kind of odd all by itself so I added "Kin" just for my blog version of the cover. Also, as it turns out, my last name isn't actually Jeuls, but wouldn't that be cool if it was?!)
Blessings from today:
1) Talents
2) Walks with Doc for Slurpees at 11:00 pm cause 7-11 never closes
3) Six weeks left till Doc finishes 3rd year!
7 comments:
um. so. i want to read it now. LOL.
have a much blessed day Blue :-)
Ohhhhh. My FB comment doesn't make as much sense anymore. You ought to consider Graphic Design or Illustration.
Bunch, obviously, ought to consider writing. Will she be posting or publishing her work of fiction? I'd like to read it.
:) I do plan to publish it eventually...and that cover was just a picture off the internet that my mom worked all night to redesign and change to make it better...I love you Mommy!!! Thank you so much!!! ♥
when and where can we read Bunch's book?
I want to be one of those "she stayed in my bed when her mom was looking for a new home fans" when she has groupies and movies out like our girl, Steph. As in, my 12yr. old wants to name our puppy-to-be "Bella" since "Edward" is too boyish! :)
Congrats Bunch. Can you bring a signed copy when you come visit? :)
♥♥♥
She truly is such a remarkable kid, that Bunch. Smart, kind, and cute? She's a keeper.
That is entirely awesome! I cannot wait to meet her. If she's anything as spectacular as her mom, I know I'll love her. The cover looks great!
what a wonderful gift from you to Bunch - a book cover indeed - delighful. How proud you and doc would be - great work mum mom le xox
Post a Comment