Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An Hour, Or A Day

Today I had a wonderful conversation with one of the angels in my life, who shared a story with me about a woman whose life had been ruined by some people. The woman was filled with hate for them, to the point that it was all-consuming and destroying her.

Recognizing the need to forgive them, the woman began to pray for help. For a long time, nothing changed, but then one day, as she put it, "I forgave them for one hour-but then I hated them for seven. Then another day I forgave them for three hours, and then hated them for two days. Eventually I forgave them for a whole day, but then hated them for a month. Sometimes that's how forgiveness works."

I cried as my angel told me this story.

Grateful for:

  1. Not really ever hating my "upline". I'm most often just sad about the "what might have been" aspect (or, more accurately, who I might have been. They ruined a lot of things.)
  2. Making peace with the fact that we don't have to keep caustic people close to us. Isn't that great?!
  3. Stories that bless me with a new insight. I won't necessarily have one of those "and suddenly, it was just lifted from my shoulders and I was free" kinds of forgiveness experiences you hear about sometimes...most likely it'll continue to be just like this woman. An hour here, a day there.

    I'll take it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that story. thanks for sharing it.

Melanie said...

what a great way to look at it. especially when offenses have been grievous.

Kathleen said...

A very loud AMEN! to Grateful for #2.

Sage said...

That is a profound story and view of forgiveness. Sometimes it's hard to hear the "it all worked out" stories. This method seems more realistic.

Thanks for posting!