In the past few months of radio silence from this end of the mic, a number of things have happened. Here's a quick recap of some of the notables:
We elected a new president, and at noon eastern today, he was sworn in as our 44th president. I feel like it's important to stand united as a nation and work together to change things, regardless of political persuasion and position. Yes things have been bad, and they may get worse before they get better. But we have an individual responsibility to not undermine any good that can be accomplished by just sitting around grumbling. And indeed one could argue that it's also our responsibility to support our democratically elected leader in so far as he is leading us in good directions. I didn't personally vote for President Obama. But I believe we need to support him in doing as great a job as he can do as the leader of our nation. It's a tough enough job without us making it harder. I think of it the same way I view being defeated in a sporting event. At the end of the game, you shake hands and graciously get behind the winner, cheering them on as they proceed towards the championship.
Bunch turned one dozen years old and we crammed far more little bodies into our home than the local fire department would condone. Thankfully we didn't need a visit from them. The girls enjoyed breakfast and games, and were delightful guests. I've many many times felt grateful for the good friends in my children's lives, and this group is no exception. If every kid had such a wonderful posse, I'm pretty sure world peace would be achieved. Bunch is an even more delightful twelve year old than you could ever imagine. My gratitude for this little person grows daily.
The holidays came and the holidays went. Despite my long history of sending cards, baking goodies and delivering gifts for the people I adore, this year it just didn't ever happen. I meant for it to. It was on my to-do list every day for nearly two months. And while most everything else got checked off, this task was just "slippery". I couldn't seem to accomplish it. So to those of you who sent me wonderful pictures, notes and letters and gifts...thank you. Your remembrance of me and my little brood brightened my day and brought me joy.
I had a birthday, shout hoo-ray. While everyone else born in 1968 turned forty, I happily got hold of some of that "Thirty-Nine Forever" elixir, and downed the stuff just in the nick of time last month. So yay me. Here's hoping the next four decades are far better than the last four! Not that there haven't been some great times...but just sayin'.
I made some resolutions. One of them was to exercise regularly. I know that's like the NUMBER ONE resolution in the world, so big whoop! But what is worth celebrating is that I am actually on week six of working out six days a week. I've been alternating cardio (running) with weights at the little gym I joined last fall, and happily, it's starting to make a difference. Not just in how I feel, but a little bit in how I look too...which is an added perk. I know my heart, lungs and muscles are getting stronger, and that's the main reason for doing it. I'm not quite to the point where I ♥ working out...but I am committed to working out. Yay me!
Doc is doing his psychiatry rotation right now. It's euphemistically referred to as "psychation" because of the considerably more relaxed schedule compared to most rotations. Because of this and the fact that he's home every day by dinner, I am going to take advantage of this opportunity to visit my sister this weekend. In Hawaii. In January. Where it's always in the 70's and there is abundant sunshine. I can't wait.
So I won't be around for a few days but I'll be thinking of you. Maybe. No, I really will. I'll send happy thoughts your way while I'm snorkeling with the pretty fishes. And I'll send happy thoughts out for you while I'm eating Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa. And especially while I'm lying on the warm sand under a palm tree, and walking in the moonlight surrounded by a gazillion twinkling stars. And while I'm exercising, because I can't break my streak yet. It'll be fun to run in Hawaii.
Till next week...
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
5 comments:
have a wonderful time in hawaii. Send me a little sunshine, if you would please. :o)
And I am SO STINKIN' EXCITED for spring (and my post-baby recovery) so I can get back into exercising. I kind of had to drop it when I started working, just because there were only so many hours in the day. But I am honestly thrilled at the thought of getting back into good running condition this spring/summer. I know it will be tough, but I look forward to the challenge.
how exciting you get to go to hawaii! my hubby and i keep thinking about going, but ugh, the price is tough to commit to...
good for you for exercising regularly! i'm still trying to keep that one up!
i'm glad you are back!! :)
Aaron and I went to Hawaii 2 Christmas's ago and Haleiwa was out favorite place!
If you get the chance, eat at the restaurant called Kua 'Aina. Try their Turkey Avocado Burger. YUMM!!!
Dana
i'm going to try it:
♥
IT WORKED!
so nice to meet you at michelle's. and thanks for the secret to your cute little heart.
Post a Comment