
They of course INSISTED that I get it.
"You're almost forty mommy!" Gator sweetly reminded me. "You HAVE to get it!"
So now every day I drink my water from this little number. I drink my water before I go on my run, and I drink more when I get back.
Despite the claims of this mug, I have spent most of the last few months trying to become a person who exercises regularly. The assumption that slim people are fit people is made far too often...and in my case it couldn't have been further from the truth. I wasn't fit. I couldn't keep up on a walk with the grannies in my neighborhood when we moved here. If I tried to run, I had a stitch in my side and felt short of breath after just one block. And I had a bad attitude about exercise, too. Not about it's importance, just about me doing any of it.
But I've pressed on...with help from a number of other people, and a few bloggers, too, who've encouraged me to hang in there. And guess what? Slowly, oh so slowly, I'm finding that I'm getting physically fit. Nothing has really changed in terms of my shape. But my lungs are definitely improved, my heart stronger. I have run for over an hour without them stopping me. My main issues now are A) joints and B) stress fractures.
I didn't have any problems until a few weeks ago. I'd been pretty good about going on my run 3-4 times a week for several months, when I somehow developed a stress fracture in my toe. This snagged me for a week, till I found a gym nearby that I could join for $100 a year. It was a worthwhile enough cause that I coughed it up and started using the elliptical and stair machines there to allow the toe to heal.
Three weeks of machine workouts and I was back to the terra firma...and it felt GREAT! I had a layover in Boston, and ran over eight miles along the Charles River in the rain and dark. I loved it. I never thought the phrase "I loved it" in a conversation about running would pass my lips, but it's true. I loved how I could just go and go. I know 8 miles isn't a lot for many people...but for this computer potato who couldn't do a block last spring, it was HUGE.
I got really amped up about the upcoming race after that. I figured 8 miles that night, 10 the next week, 12 the following, and then this weekend, all 13.1 miles in the race. I was DOIN'G IT!
But ever since that night, I've struggled. Knee pain where I never had it before (right ITB). Mild pain starting up in the fractured toe again. I've been slow and uncomfortable. It's been somewhat discouraging, because that run in Boston actually had me thinking I was on my way to becoming a runner! Now I'm thinking I'm just on my way to being someone who exercises regularly. But that's okay. If I can enjoy going out for a 3-4 mile run every other day or so, and keep myself physically fit in the process, I'll have accomplished something important, and I'll be very happy.
So this weekend I'll be hopping on a plane to Long Beach, where I'll participate in my first ever big race. I am excited to be part of the experience. I'll run as much as I can, walk when I can't, and celebrate when I cross the finish line with my sister, who convinced me to do it in the first place.
So my question today is...How about you? Have you managed to supersede a stumbling block in your life? How did you do it? And for you runner types, feel free to share any advice, tidbits or suggestion that would be useful for someone like me. ♥
12 comments:
OMG, I needed this post today! I've been really struggling myself to do exactly what you've managed to do. I'd actually like to talk to you more about this..maybe at SG on Tuesday! Nice work on all of it! (hope you'll share some of those vibes with me!)
For a non-runner like myself, I find that the two things that keep me going are 1-an event that I'm training for and 2-a buddy to push me. I hope you find your inner-motivation next week once the big run event is done and you are back to running for fitness alone.
You are an inspiration. I am so proud that you have and are sticking to the training routine essentially on your own. I do a 8.15 mile 'fun run' every Feb which keeps me active during the winter months but I've never run more than that distance at one time. I gotta set a higher limit on my training distance so that 8 miles doesn't seem like such a big deal.
I'd suggest taping your toe for the next few days just to lend support to the fracture so you don't make it worse. Best of luck and I'll be cheering for you in my dreams this Sunday morning. :)
no, heidi, it was definitely me who needed this post today!
i've got nothing along the lines of advice. but lots of love and luck will be sent your way right... now!
♥
*sniff*
Sorry-can't answer the question; still sobbing about the fact that I would need to go for the next mug in the series.
Wait until you hit 45! That's when I started to get really creaky.
I had a friend who once said that excercize at forty is the"insurance policy" for when you in your 50's. SO hang in there!
DK
Ya know, in my brain you can't be a day over 32 and that's only because I have to compensate because I know you're older than I am.
Congratulations on being able to run 8 miles. Thanks amazing!
I just wanted to tell you how much I loved your comment on Ree's blog. Way, way cute! :) Have a great day.
Best of luck on the 1/2 marathon. It seems likes decades since we've seen you, let's get together soon!
I'm so proud of you...
Love~ Sunny
What an inspiration you are. And I agree, now I am over 40 thngs do start getting a little more creaky unless you move. Whats that saying if you dont use it you lose it. so it sounds like you are well and truly using it. Very inpsirational. I still go in fits and starts in terms of exercise but I keep trying. The fact you are doing this and working away etc is a wonderful attribute to your staying power. We are the most important asset in our lives but sometimes we do not realise this until its too late. Thanks for the inspiration.
completely unrelated to your post, but i just looked at your pics that you've taken.
i love the one with the sheep and rainbow. dont ask me why. it makes me smile!
Well thanx again! My doc's want me on at least a 45 minute daily workout. My resting heart rate needs to be in the 60's and I'm still in the 70's. But they want me on a machine because they don't want me passing out on the streets somewhere. I started riding my omni4000 bike in my living room but I have seriously been lacking these days. Alas, some inspiration for motivation! Good Luck on the big race.
good luck this weekend! you can do it! i've run two marathons in my life...and both times had a few problems...the first, my partner got injured a few weeks before and when we ran the race, it flared up again around mile 6. so we took it slow, walked some, and eventually made it. the next time, i got sick with a cold the day before the race, and running with a cold was not fun. but again, we made it across the finish line. the feeling you get when you cross is probably one of the most amazing feelings. you'll understand when you cross the finish line this weekend.
i haven't kept up on my running since i ran the last marathon almost 6 years ago. i recently wanted to start again with B, but since i sprained my ankle in my horse accident, it just isn't possible. to even attempt to jog kills me.
the aches and pains will go away, just take care of yourself.
good luck and have fun!
Post a Comment