...it's off to work I go!
So later this afternoon I will get on a plane and fly to CA where I will start work tomorrow morning. I had hoped when I picked this trip that I'd be able to find another flight attendant who willing to work tomorrow morning's flight to SLC. One thing we can do in our jobs is get out of either the 1st or last leg of a trip if we have someone else willing to work it for us. If I'd succeeded, I'd be able to just meet the crew here in SLC tomorrow when they land, and continue the trip from here. As it is, I have to commute out tonight for my 6:00 a.m. report time tomorrow. Alas.
This will be the first time since Doc started rotations in the hospital that I'm out of town while the kids are in school. Last summer they were thrilled every time I left town because they were able to go to their cousin's house and just stay the whole time. Their aunt and uncle are complete rock stars. But school renders that option less feasible because of the distance.
So I've rigged up a combination of solutions for their care this weekend, and am crossing my fingers that everything will work out. Then I get to lather rinse repeat next weekend when I do this same trip.
I love my job. I really do. And we all really love the benefits (including my buddy pass recipients. BTW, still haven't heard from the winner of this past week's Give-Away. Ern?? Ern, you there?). But every time I fly, it's a bit of a workout to arrange and prepare everything in advance. For the past seven years it's always turned out fine. But having Doc gone at 4ish in the morning certainly adds a little twist 'o lime to the complexity of child care.
This Monday I have a few hours in NYC which is really exciting because I'll get to experience history in the making (isn't that happening with every passing moment?) as my airline open the doors on one of the world's most innovative new air terminals! There's a crew member event and luncheon, followed by a press event and formal ribbon cutting ceremony with the media & "local dignitaries", and then a cocktail party with some mystery singer who had "one of the summer's top 10 hits". I have to fly out before it's over, but how fun to have a layover during this! A layover when I should be sleeping mind you (I land at dawn after flying all night and leave again at 5 pm), but I'm just going to suck it up and go into deep hibernation when I get home. At least till 4pm when the kids get out of school.
So that's my weekend plan. What are you doing?
9 comments:
I just tagged you. Sorry.
http://5rips.typepad.com/growing_baby_3/
Ooh, wish I could hang with you in NY. LOVED your Segullah comment today. LOVED it. You are adding a lot to that place girl.
hmm... maybe there should be a statue of limitations (say 72hrs) before the award goes to the runner up ;-)
I would so hang out with in new york if I could. As it is I will just be jealous of your way cool job :)
Hi Blue!
I jumped over to your blog from Michelle's blog. I just started my new hobby of taking nature pictures...I wish mine looked as good as yours!! Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing :)
poor gator! hope he feels better soon!
Wow, this is fascinating!
Wow, Blue! You are one busy gal! I hope that all of your juggling worked out. Sounds very complicated! I don't know how you do it.
I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I am adding you to my favorites list. I meant to do that a while ago, but sometimes time gets away from me!
Hugs,
Deb
Enjoy the party - without the wee ones in tow - a bit of a treat really - cheers le
Post a Comment