Saturday, August 25, 2007

August 25

Today was a big day.
First, Doc had decided some time ago to run in the Park City Marathon. Having never done anything longer than a 5K, he opted to run the half marathon (so only 13.1 miles). Bunch&Gator and I wanted to show our lazy-bum support for his efforts, so we all got up at 5:30 am and headed to the race. Bunch & I were so tired after we dropped Doc off, we went to a parking lot and took a nap in the car while Gator watched his TMNT movie that he'd gotten for his birthday on the dvd player. We were waiting there at the finish line though, and here are photos of Doc as he rounded the last bend towards the end of the race, and then him crossing the finish line less than 2 hours later!







































Today also happened to be our anniversary. I remember picking that date for our wedding because it seemed like the perfect, conflict-free date. I had NOTHING in August my whole life except
my BFF's birthday. I felt bad getting married on her 21st birthday...and hope she's forgiven me all these years later. But other than that, nothing. School never started in August where I had lived. I didn't have a child born in August. There are no holidays in August. But seems like every year, more is happening specifically on August 25th than any other date. Last year was the first day of Medical School...a big brouhaha where the new students all take the Oath of Hippocrates and receive their new white doctor coats in a special commencement ceremony with a reception on the lawn following. We also had our big housewarming party BBQ that day.

This year, in addition to the anniversary and marathon, Gator was baptized. Now of course I don't have any digital photos of the event, because I brought my camera, but didn't use it. Maybe someone else will have one I can post. But nonetheless, it was a nice baptism. Gma gave a talk, I led the music, Doc baptized him and Gpa confirmed him. Uncles were witnesses, and Auntie K played really pretty music, and we had a good number of friends and family there in support. Gator enjoyed it.

After the baptismal ceremony, Doc and I turned the kids over to the quality care of Gma&Gpa, who took them to a fun restaurant called The Mayan. They have cliff divers and such. Meanwhile, Doc and I had a tasty dinner at The Red Iguana, and watched the movie The Ultimate Gift at home.

Maybe someday we'll have an un-scheduled August 25th...but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Happy Birthday JH!

No comments: