Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Changes Afoot

The past few days I've been caught in the crazy storm disruption messiness plaguing the airline industry. Not only has this winter been wrecking havoc with travelers, it's been exacting a high toll on the employees of the industry seemingly every other week. The people are worn out. It's like a battle most days, when hundreds of angry, displaced, impatient and disappointed customers are lined up in front of you and there's little you can do to make them happy. I feel pretty bad for gate agents, reservation agents and ticket counter crew members. Just remember when you're flying, they're doing what they can, as fast as they can, and it's not their fault. Because when flights are diverted or canceled, crews and planes are out of position and illegal to operate flights (we have federally-mandated minimum rest requirements governing how long we can be on duty), and everything is just insane.

But I'm home now, glory hallelujah. And things seem to be settling back down. During the trip my passport disappeared, which is causing me some stress. I just booked a trip for Doc and me to the Dominican Republic in May to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, as well as his graduation from medical school. So if it doesn't turn up right quick, I'll have to expedite a new one before then.


On Monday while I was away, my daughter was invited to a birthday party by A BOY for the first time. I knew this day would come, but I didn't expect it to hit just yet. I've met The Boy before, and he is a nice enough kid, and a lot of her besties were also invited too. They were heading to a roller blading and fun-center type place with his parents and siblings, so I was okay with it. But the party was the
next day (!!!), so I wasn't even here for it. Bunch wasn't sure what to get him, so I suggested making a candy bar card, and by golly this is what that darling kid of mine came up with:


(note: I cut off the to/from lines for in case there are any SERIAL KILLER STalKeR types reading my blog).

Word is the party was superfunforeveryone and they all had a great time. I haven't seen my darling bunch yet...she's at rehearsal for the school play and tomorrow is dress rehearsal so I'm sure she'll be running late tonight. If you're in the area and want to see what is purportedly a WAY AMAZING production of The Sound of Music, despite that it
is junior high, email me for info. Tickets are just $5.

And finally, the biggest change is that we are now down to mere hours, almost MINUTES, (it's actually 15 hours, 41 minutes and 23 seconds from this moment) till we find out where we'll be living for the next 5 years. I'm excited.

I made homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner...and yes, it's green. If you boil pasta in green water, it soaks up the water and turns green. And the sauce was easy enough to tint as well. I love my St. Paddy's Day celebrations and hope you've all had a lovely day.

I'll post The News tomorrow!

Grateful for:
1) Delta getting me on their flight to SLC today.
2) The sunset with all my favoritest colors last night.
3) Seeing the sunrise over the atlantic ocean this morning.

5 comments:

ellen said...

BOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTON

Brajit said...

Crossing my fingers for you and that you and Doc get the place you hope for. I'm nervous for you! (And hope that if it is Boston, I'll move up a spot in California!)

BTW, creative card by Bunch! It's great!

Janell said...

She's such a creative gal :)

I'll vote for Austin even though it's not on the list =) Ya never know!

ann ominous said...

i can't wait to find out where you're going!!!

Keri Bryant said...

Tell Bunch she rocks. I used to make these for boys staring in HIGH SCHOOL so she is already rockin' it early! :) Still make them for my girls on occasion, but hers takes the cake!!
xxx