Now that I've transferred to Boston for work (I used to fly to California to start work, now I fly to Boston), I knew it would only be a matter of time before a chance to meet up with Ellen presented itself. And last month it did!
On very short notice, we arranged to meet for lunch. Again, I could have blown it because I came up from the "T" stop in Kendall Square, where she said she'd find me, unaware that there were two ways I could have exited, and I took the wrong one. After waiting a while for her to "find" me (wishing the whole time I'd remembered to copy her cell phone down out of the email), she called me, and we figured out where I was relative to her.
Ellen is an iconic figure. She seems to know pretty much everyone. She's one of those creative, thoughtful, talented people who is generous and kind to everyone. Before we ever met, I'd received two hand-written cards in the mail from her...she's old-fashioned like that. I wish I were more organized and consistent with writing letters and sending packages (I have a shelf in my closet of things I intend to send people for month after month, never making myself actually get them off.)
We had a nice lunch and then she gave me a bit of a walking tour of MIT, where she works in the president's office.
It was orientation day, so the new students were flooding campus and starting out on their new adventures. It reminded me of my happy first days of college so long ago. What a great time of life! What amazing feelings of freedom and possibility! How fun to work in that environment every year. It must keep a person young. They're very lucky to have her at MIT.Despite our very short notice, Ellen showed up with a gift for me: a nerdy MIT pocket-protector! My dad wore a
pocket protector when I was growing up. I don't notice people wearing them much these days, but it made me laugh. She's just thoughtful, that Ellen!
Since our lunch, I've gotten another little package in the mail from her. In addition to photography skills, Ellen is a WIZZARD with a sewing machine, and made me a sweet little coin purse from some cute oilcloth. It's been fun reading her blog and looking at life from her cheerful perspective.
Grateful for:
1) This crazy thing, the internet. When I consider all the good it has brought into my life (and the fact that I've managed to steer clear of the dark side of it), I am so grateful for the innovation, invention and inspiration that has brought it about.
pocket protector when I was growing up. I don't notice people wearing them much these days, but it made me laugh. She's just thoughtful, that Ellen!Since our lunch, I've gotten another little package in the mail from her. In addition to photography skills, Ellen is a WIZZARD with a sewing machine, and made me a sweet little coin purse from some cute oilcloth. It's been fun reading her blog and looking at life from her cheerful perspective.
Grateful for:
2) As a child I couldn't seem to "figure it out"...that how to find and make friends thing. I had a couple dear childhood friends (hi L3 and Pokey!!!) and they did a remarkable job of compensating for the unkindness of some other children. But I struggled in that department. Today, my friendship well is overpopulated with the best of humanity. It reminds me of this, which is one of my favorite promises.
3) Indian summer September days. The sweetness of my friend's 3 yr old preschooler every Thursday. Playing piano/viola duets with my daughter. Snuggling with my son. Doc's current ER rotation hours. Gator's improved attitude and effort this week. Mint chocolate chip ice cream. My body aching as I try to get back into shape. Scout leaders who really (authentically!) enjoy scouting (?!). Unexpected notes, email and letters from people. Jackie Evancho's voice. Visiting teachers. Reading scriptures with my kids in the morning before I send them off into the world.
2 comments:
You made my day!
Oh, that's too awesome! I need to meet Ellen someday since we live in the same region. AND I need to meet you too! Know that I know you're in Boston a lot, we need to arrange it!
Post a Comment