Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's Over

Staycation 2010 has officially ended. In eight hours, I'll be driving a car full of kids to another first day of school. It begins.

In June we brainstormed a list of fun stuff to do this summer. Since it was a brainstorm, we didn't exclude any ideas the kids came up with., and we got about half of them in during the past 2 months. But we also had a lot of fun experiences that we didn't write down.

The majority of the summer was shared with cousins doing various activities together...which is about as close to heaven as my kids can imagine. I think it's a good sign that you've had a nice vacation when your 11 year old turns down a free trip to Disneyland for his birthday. (Yes, you read that right! His sister was having a hard time wrapping her head around this, but it was his call.)



In addition to an abundance of extended-family time, I've had some fun experiences too. I went on my first cruise (will be getting a post of it's own soon), remodeled my bedroom (pictures to follow), started painting (pictures, not walls), read some great books, made some new friends, started writing a book, ate too much, didn't work out regularly, grew a big & happy basil plant, dreamed some dreams, baked goodies for people, set some goals, felt happy.

I Love Summer! I love that I'm nearly 3/4 of the way through this year, and so far I'm doing pretty well with my 2010 slogan (see header above). Life is good.

Grateful for:
1) So many people who make my life, and lots of other people's lives, rich. Thank you.
2) Forced structure that school-time dictate. I'll be trying to make some good habits.
3) Happy moments with Doc. He's been amazing at juggling his life

PS: I have a confession: The junior high girls want to go to school a little early to set up their lockers etc., and I'm the driver tomorrow. But Gator hates waking up early...so I snuck in and
set his clock 10 minutes ahead so he'll get up when I need him to.
Deception of the highest order, I know. Shoot me.

5 comments:

Janell said...

I approve of your deception.

Good luck with getting the kids out the door on the first day of school!

Erin said...

I love the alarm clock idea! I'm going to have to try that one on Cam. You have done so many fun things this summer. I'm excited to hear about your cruise and see your paintings.

~Erin

Anonymous said...

my kids feel the same! We talked about not getting together with cousins this summer to use the money for Disneyworld (they've never been) and all three of them said no way!

Happy family memories rock!

We still have a full FOUR weeks of vacation left. I am pretty sure we are the last kids on the planet to start school this autumn.

How will you celebrate the new school year? I always go out to eat lunch with a friend or two before I start my own efforts at setting up productive time.

~Mish

Alyson | New England Living said...

Sounds like an absolutely heavenly summer! I'm so happy that you are living this year's slogan! You are an inspiration.

val of the south said...

I love your 2010 slogan!

I was so touched by your comments on a blog friends posts that I had to come check you out, and I'm so glad I did. Alyson is right, you are an inspiration.

Thanks for letting me visit :)